Every day, as the Internet increases connectivity around the world, it appears that the world has a limitless supply of new art, movies, and other media. K Pop, or Korean pop music, is one of the most thrilling aspects of this fascinating foreign culture. If you’ve seen the video for “Gangham Style,” you might think you know a little about K Pop, but it’s much more than that.
K-pop, or South Korean mainstream pop music, has its own formula for global success. The essential element is a great hook music that is coupled with a signature dance move and presented in a spectacular video. The entire package is designed to be shared on social media, where the song takes on a life of its own thanks to a dedicated fan base. This strategy, which incorporates pop music clichés, Internet culture, and extensive training, has aided in the internationalization of K-pop.
K-Pop stands out from other genres due to its innovative approaches to music videos, understanding of what it means to be skilled, and sheer hard work. Here are some of the reasons why K-pop is so popular
1. Costumes and Colour Theory: The innovative use of costumes and colour in music videos is one of the things that K Pop excels at. When North America was only beginning to be industrialized hundreds of years ago, Asia already had a thriving art and graphics sector. As a result, it’s no wonder that Asian pop culture, including music videos, is frequently highly sophisticated and well-considered. The use of special effects, make-up, clothing, and other elements is always in service of a larger theme and concept.
2. Addicting Melodies: Without catchy melodies and sing-along lyrics, pop music would be nothing. K pop is no exception, with melodies that become stuck in your mind almost immediately. Boy and girl groups alike have appealing songwriting down to a science, which ensures that their music appeals to fans speaking in any different language.
3. Enchanting Choreography: Another area where K-pop performers totally dominate is choreography. Not only do the groups sing and dance, but they also do routines that would normally necessitate the use of professional dancers. Not only does this necessitate a tremendous amount of hard work, practice, and skill, but K pop musicians are known for executing these routines live, demonstrating that they are actually skillful, rather than merely well-edited in their music videos.
4. Diverse Talents: Furthermore, K pop artists almost always act in addition to singing. While there are some actors who aren’t particularly good at acting, a true K pop idol is usually just as good at singing and dancing as they are at acting. These kids are far from the cheesy marketing ploys that many combo-singing and acting acts in North America and Europe are. Not only that, but K-pop idols frequently appear in important parts in a variety of television dramas and films. These acting roles are, of course, in addition to their regular musical careers.
5. Multilingual: Not only are K-Pop musicians highly skilled, incredibly hard workers, and stars in flawless music videos, but they also frequently include elements of different cultures into their songs. Singers frequently include English sayings into their lyrics because most kids in many Asian countries are expected to acquire English from a young age. Not only does this appeal to Asian fans, but it also makes K-Pop singers more accessible to Western followers.