Thoughts are powerful. Your thoughts become your reality. As Tony says, “Whatever you hold in your mind on a consistent basis is exactly what you will experience in your life.” This is something that the world’s most successful people realize – and the only difference between them and everyone else is that they have learned how to harness the power of thoughts to help them achieve.
Thinking too much prevents you from getting anything done. And, it wreaks havoc on your mood.
WAYS TO STOP OVERTHINKING….
- Step back and look at how you’re responding
- Find a distraction
- Take a deep breath
- Do something nice for someone else
- Explore new calming exercises with Calm
- Recognize automatic negative thinking
- Acknowledge your successes
- Stay present
- Practice self-compassion
- Don’t think of what can go wrong, but what can go right.
- Awareness is the beginning of change.
- Distract yourself into happiness.
- Put things into perspective.
- Stop waiting for perfection.
- Change your view of fear.
- Realize you can’t predict the future.
No one can predict the future; all we have is now. If you spend the present moment worrying about the future, you are robbing yourself of your time now. Spending time on the future is simply not productive. Spend that time instead on things that give you joy.
The fear that grounds overthinking is often based in feeling that you aren’t good enough–not smart enough or hardworking enough or dedicated enough. Once you’ve given an effort your best, accept it as such and know that, while success may depend in part on some things you can’t control, you’ve done what you could do.
“Don’t get too deep, it leads to over thinking, and over thinking leads to problems that doesn’t even exist in the first place.”
– Jayson Engay
Telling yourself to stop thinking about something will backfire. The more you try to prevent a thought from entering your brain, the more likely it is to keep popping up.
Change the channel in your brain by changing your activity. Exercise, engage in conversation on a completely different subject, or work on a project that distracts you. Doing something different will put an end to the barrage of negative thoughts.