Independence day is a meaningful and one of the most important dates in history of our country. After a long and exhausting struggle India got its Independent on 15th August, 1947.
To honor this day today we will talk about some of the facts that every Indian needs to know regarding this occasion.
- Indian flag was first hosted in year 1906 in Parsee Bagan Square, Kolkata. It had three horizontal stripes of red, yellow and green. It’s first alteration was designed by Pingali Venkayya in in 1921. It is the same flag we host till date. A saffron white and green strip with 24 spokes Ashok chakra.
- Besides India there are five other countries who also celebrate their Independence day today. That include South Korea, North Korea, Bahrain, Republic of Congo and Lichtenstein.
- Goa was still under Portugal jurisdiction when the country got its independence. It was annexed to India in 1961 and became the last state to join the Indian territory.
- Indian flag is only manufactured and licensed by The Khadi Development Village Industries Commission. The Karnataka Khadi Gramodyog Samyukta Sangha located in Dharwad is the only manufacturer of the flag made with cotton.
- Our national song ‘Vande Mataram’ was part of the album ‘Anandmath’ composed by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee in 1880s. It was first sung by Tagore in 1896 and officially became the national song on 24th January, 1950.
- Lord Mountbatten was obliged to attend the Independence day of both countries, India and Pakistan and hence why he moved Pakistan’s Independence day to 14th August.
- Lord Mountbatten chose 15th August as the Independence day to honor the second anniversary of Japan’s surrender to the allied forces.
- Mahatma Gandhi wanted the Congress to be disband after country’s independence as the purpose of the party formation was achieved.
- India did not have any structural government after achieving independence. There was no president or prime minister at first. Governor general was the person with most authority at that time.
- The name ‘India’ originated from the name of River Indus as it was the place of first inhabitants of India.
- Bharat Ganarajya is the name of India in Sanskrit and hence the birth of Bharat in hindi.
- India hadn’t invaded any other country in last thousand centuries.
- Hindi is not the national language of our country but only the official language. It was declared official on 14th September, 1947 in article 343.
- Mahatma Gandhi did not attend the first independence day as he was participating in a hunger strike on the same day.
- Cyril John Radcliffe is the man behind the design of borders of Independent India despite never visiting the country once.
- Our first Prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru was quite a fashion icon back in the days even making it in a Vogue issue. Nehru jacket was also named after he made it an iconic fashion piece.
- India had 562 princely states or kingdoms when it became independent.