Roads : lifeline of rural developmentRoadways are not only a key for rural development,but play a major role in poverty reduction by generating increased agricultural income and productive employment.
When globalisation was changing the world it could not reach many places as they were inaccessible due to lack of proper road connectivity hence many village did not develop.
To solve this issue government launched pradhan mantri gram sadak yojna also known as PMGSY in the year 2000 to connect rural areas with urban by network of all weather roadways.Objectives of construction of roads :-
1.To connect unconnected habitations in rural areas with major urban areas and markets for better buisness and employment
2. To make places having resources accessible so that suitable industries could set up in order to develop the area.
3.to establish a core network that is essential to provide basic access to essential social and economic services to all eligible unconnected habitations.Steps taken by government :-
1. Government has launched PMGSY whose primary focus is to connect remote areas with urban areas.
2. Government creates a core network of roads from each place so that basic needs like school,hospital, market are accessible
3. Government launches tender after suitable time for maintenance of roads.
4. Government ensures quality of roads is high otherwise necessary actions are taken again the contractor.
5. Government prioritizes different places where roads should be constructed with their needs
6. Border areas are also connnected with mainstreams by roads especially constructed for them.Importance of roads :-
1. Roadways helps in the growth of market hence helps in rural development.
2. They connect places with schools so that children can be educated .
3. Areas with proper roads attracts different industrialists which help in development of area.
4. Roads help in attracting tourist which helps the locality by generating ample opportunities.Rural connectivity is not an end in itself it is a means. The connectivity will improve education,health,rural incomes.roadways connects rural areas to major political hubs which helps local government to ensure development in their locality