Aquisition of a different language in the globalized era is indeed beneficial. The world is in a phase where geographical mobility is quite simple and knowing a foreign language will help one to expand his/her horizons in the long run.
THE VARIOUS BENEFITS OF A LEARNING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE ARE AS FOLLOWS :
- Enables easy travel – One will find it hassle free to travel across the globe by acquiring a new language. It will make traveling enthralling as one can easily interact with the locals of a particular place and learn about their culture, traditions, norms, etc.
- Career Prospects – Companies that are willing to expand their business to other regions are constantly looking out for professionals having foreign language skills. Being multilingual can add up grace to one’s resume and open opportunities for pay hike and added incentives.
- Boosts comprehension and listening skills – People having a vocabulary of more than 2 languages often end up working hard to distinguish sounds and pronounciations in different languages. The brain thus develops in such a way that it helps boost comprehension and listening skills in a person.
- Deepens cultural knowledge – Language is a core cultural heritage of several nations. Thus, the best way to connect to the culture of others is by learning their language. By conversing in a nations’s mother tongue, we tend to comprehend their motives and cultural aspects in a much better manner. Studies have proven that this tends to nurture a sense of empathy amongst people. According to Karl Albrecht, “Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way to think about thinks.”
- Prevents Alzheimers/Dementia – Bilingual folks have a lesser chance of developing alzheimers/dementia. Knowing different languages strengthens the Cognitive Reserve of the brain. This in turn leads to a greater blood flow and increased activation of the neurons. Thus, it helps prevent brain related disorders.
- Helps increase span of attention – Trying to learn a varied language helps exercise the brain functions in a precise manner. It challenges one to concentrate and improve problem solving skills. In this way, it enhances the memory and builds the ability of a person to learn vocabulary, problem solving and math in an easier way.
- Recreational purpose – Linguaphiles (those who love words and languages) may try learning numerous languages as a part of their hobby. One can effortlessly read literature, watch shows without having to go through subtitles, write articles/blogs in the language that they have learnt. Thus, such language lovers can constructively utilise their time by indulging in such language related activities.
- May help bind the world – An Arab proverb says, “learn a language and you’ll avoid a war.” Learning a new language helps understand other peoples culture. Hence, it will aid people to think rationally, logically and through a global perspective without prejudices or biases. This may in turn help prevent communal or ideological conflicts within the globe.
Marcel Proust has rightly quoted, “A language which we do not know is a fortress sealed.”
It is true that aquiring a new language opens doorways to golden opportunities in life. Multilingual people have a positive influence on their social, psychological and emotional development. Therefore, we can conclude that, learning a foreign language is truly beneficial in all terms.