BA in English Literature is an undergraduate course that is opted for following the completion of the 10+2 formal schooling. Do you have a knack for analysing poetry or writing one? Are you keen about learning the history and evolution of different forms of arts and literature? Then a BA in English Literature was an ideal choice for your graduation. Many great inventions today across different fields such as astronomy, engineering and medicine are influenced by ancient literature and several art forms.
For example, Nicolaus Copernicus’ book “The revolutions of the celestial spheres” popularised the heliocentric theory that proposed the sun as the centre of the universe. With the majority of students opting for medical, engineering or legal degrees, Bachelor of Arts as a degree course is often undermined. There are a lot of common misconceptions and stigmas surrounding this graduation course.
- Students studying BA in English Literature are assumed to lackluster in studies.
- It is a course often idealised as suitable for women.
- Students opting for BA in English LIterature can only become a teacher or professor.
Many students graduate in English Literature as they are passionate about what the course has to offer. Although women are the majority among English Literature graduates, Men also specialise in this field and go on to pursue post graduation alongside women.
As we have debunked some of the misconceptions and stigmas surrounding BA in English Literature, let us look at the doors of opportunities this course leads us to.
Courses to take up after BA In English Literature
BA in English Literature is a three year graduation course that familiarises you with the evolution of English language and its literature through plays, different forms of poems, novels and theatre. Its curriculum consists of literary analysis, literary criticism and communication skills. Graduating in English Literature qualifies you for several job opportunities and higher studies.
For further specialisation or better job opportunities, doing a Masters course following BA in English Literature might be an ideal choice.
Here are the following courses you can consider following your graduation in English Literature.
Master of Arts in Communication
MA in Communication is a postgraduate program for the duration of 2 years which equips students with information regarding transmitting messages and principles of communication.
This masters course prepares its candidates for professions such as film directors, producers, screenwriters, journalists, public relations officers, and other professional careers.
- Minimum requirement for admission to MA in Communication is a Bachelor’s degree in any stream from a recognized university.
- Students must have secured 50% in their bachelor’s degree course.
- Candidates may be required to pass entrance exams conducted by specific colleges or universities.
Choosing MA in Communication following BA in English Literature can set you up for the following employment roles.
- Television or Film Director
- Content Writer
- Event Management
- Digital Marketing Expert
- Public Relations Professionals
Master of Arts in Sociology
MA in Sociology is a postgraduate program like MA in Communication. Students keen about social studies, politics and economics can pursue this masters course following BA in English Literature. The MA Sociology curriculum consists of the study of religion and society, political society, Indian society, economy and society, social development, and research in sociology.
- Interested candidates must be graduated in any stream of education from a reputed university.
- Candidates must have scored a minimum of 50% in the undergraduate level.
- Some colleges expect students to be a graduate in psychology while the others accept candidates across different streams.
- Colleges conduct entrance exams that need to be cleared by the admission seeking candidates.
MA in Sociology opens doors to an expansive range of career opportunities after your graduation in English Literature. Following are some of the job profiles that might get you interested.
- PR Executives
Master of Arts in English Literature
Nothing seems more appropriate than studying for MA in English Literature post your graduation from BA in English Literature. This post graduation course in English Literature is the study of ancient and modern English literature, consisting of poetry, drama and fiction. Literature in the English language is not only written by English authors from England but also writers from across the world.
Post graduation in English Literature sets you up for job profiles such as a teacher or a journalist. Candidates interested in writing and translating for agencies can also benefit from this masters course.
- Already being a graduate in English Literature, one needs to make sure that he or she has earned upto 50% marks to be qualified for admission.
- Your graduation course should be from a recognized university.
- Admissions can be provided on both merit basis as well as clearance of entrance exams.
Upon completion of your post graduation course, you will be qualified for the following job profiles.
- English Language Specialist
- Translator / Interpreter
- English Teacher
- English Editor
- Junior Parliamentary Reporter
Bachelor of Law (LLB)
Bachelor of Law is a popular choice for higher studies among graduates of English Literature. A degree in LLB familiarises students with environmental law, consumer protection act, arbitration, and insurance law including others. Following the completion of Bachelor in Law, candidates can opt to study LLM (Masters of Law) for further specialisation, practice law after registering with certain agencies or take up careers as legal professionals in public or private sectors.
- Students aspiring to study Bachelor of Law must have graduated from a recognized university with an aggregate of 45% in any stream.
- Selection for the course is based on the results from entrance exams such as SLAT, CUET, and CLAT.
Careers after a Bachelor of Law are not confined to courtroom duties involving defending clients. Law graduates today have scope for job profiles in corporate firms, legal agencies, IT firms, and administrative services. Following are some of the job profiles mentioned below.
- HR Manager
- Legal Advisor
- Legal Manager
Bachelor of Education
Graduates who want to begin a career in the field of teaching can further study Bachelor of Education. This post graduation course acquaints the candidates with different learning methods and Pedagogy of a school subject. The course lasts for a duration of 3 to 4 years.
After the completion of B.Ed, clearing aptitude tests such as TET and CTET will qualify you for teaching in primary and secondary schools.
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with 50% aggregate marks.
- A master’s degree from a recognized university with 50% aggregate marks.
- Aspirants for B.Ed must be at least 21 years old, irrespective of their graduation or post graduation.
Job profiles for B.Ed graduates are usually related to the field of teaching. One can become a teacher with specialisation in a particular subject or head teacher in a primary or secondary school.
Vinayak Kashyap, mycourseguru.in/courses after ba english/
Team Careers360 | Updated on Sep 29, 2021 – 3:32 p.m. IST career360.com/10 best career options to progress with after llb degree/